The vision of Hospice PEI is to ensure that Islanders experience quality hospice palliative care.
Hospice PEI believes in the following values:
Respecting each other, our clients, our public and ourselves
Being caring and compassionate in our actions
Working collaboratively within our organization and with others
Making decisions, at all levels of the organization, that are informed and evidence-based
The work of Hospice PEI is focused on the following strategic goals:
Islanders, with a palliative diagnosis, experience person-centered care through their dying journey.
Islanders impacted by the death of their loved ones, experience person-centered support through their grief journey.
Islanders know about, and have access to, hospice palliative care and bereavement services and resources.
Islanders are supported by a favourable legislative and policy environment.
Service providers have the knowledge they need to provide evidence-based best practices in hospice palliative care.
The philosophy of hospice palliative care is that it affirms life and embraces and focuses on quality of life for terminally ill persons. Hospice palliative care recognizes dying as a normal process; it is a logical conclusion to life on earth. To fulfill our mandate, we:
• Strive to help clients and their families address physical, psychological, social, spiritual and practical issues;
• Support them as they deal with loss, fears and hope;
• Believe that the interdisciplinary team, of which Hospice palliative care volunteers are members, are knowledgeable and skilled in their discipline of practice to provide this care;
• Are committed to helping clients and their loved ones prepare for and manage self determined life closure and the dying process; and
• Embrace the intrinsic worth of every person and serve all without discrimination.
Our clients are living to the very last moment and there is always hope. Hope may need to be redefined. Hope for a cure and complete recovery are usually unrealistic; goals such as hope for relief from pain, courage, a new meaning in life, and a tranquil death with loved ones present are realistic. As a family member or friend, watching the person you love die is never easy. But knowing that your loved one can live those last days in dignity and comfort, and that you will be able to care compassionately for your loved one within the circle of your family and friends will be a great solace to you. As you escort your loved one through this final passage, may Hospice care help you face your farewells in peace and hope.